Transformational coaching is about much more than merely addressing goal achievement. If you’re working with a transformational coach, you’re undertaking a transformation of how you perceive yourself and show up in the world. You are transforming from the inside out based on what drives you at a heart and soul level.
A transformational coach may ask you such big questions as:
- “How did you first become aware of your dream?”
- “How do you need to be in order to achieve your dream?”
- “What is driving you internally to go in this direction?”
- “How do you want to enact your values in your life?”
- “At the end of your life, what would you like others to say about you?”
By extension, career transformation coaching goes well beyond addressing tactical goals like getting a job with a more senior title, improving networking or interviewing skills, or negotiating the best possible compensation package. It even goes deeper than simply changing fields, e.g., from marketing communications to clinical psychology, from nursing administration to running a nonprofit, etc.
Career Transformation Addresses Meaningful Work
Beyond changing fields, your career transformation journey starts when you aspire to do the work that is truly meaningful to you. Meaningful work is inner-driven because it is the outward expression of your inner self. You are transforming your career from the inside out.
As a career transformation coach, I will lead you to discover, plan, and realize meaningful work. The inner-driven coaching process starts by clarifying your values – the qualities, principles, beliefs, and standards that are vitally important to you. You will also work with me to identify your passions – the activities and interests that deeply resonate with you because they are based on your values. The third leg of the stool is identifying your innate strengths, which I will help you assess.
Your values, passions, and innate strengths provide the source of your intrinsic motivation. They drive you from the inside out because they reflect who you are; they speak to your heart and soul. I will guide you to leverage your values, passions, and innate strengths in creating your meaningful work vision – what work you want to do in the future – and mission – why you want to do it, your work purpose.
Where Vision and Mission Meet Reality
Your career transformation journey continues with the hard work of realizing your vision and mission for meaningful work. It’s one thing to visualize what you want to do and why you want to do it. It’s quite another matter to make this real. I will step you through a process to create and execute your career transition plan, which addresses:
- Employment options – choosing whether to join an organization or become self-employed, depending on your vision-mission and other factors
- Organizational requirements (if joining an organization) – growth opportunity, culture, leadership quality, compensation, work-life balance, etc.
- Self-employment requirements (if choosing this option) – financial resources, growth opportunity, support services you may need, work-life balance, etc.
- Career transition requirements – education, training, certification, apprenticeship, etc.
- Lifestyle implications – how your transition will impact your lifestyle
- Transition resources – how much time, and potentially money, you will need to make the transition
Executing your transition plan is often the most challenging part of your journey to meaningful work because you’re bumping up against reality. It can feel scary, confusing, and maybe even overwhelming. You may struggle with fears, self doubt, frustration, and uncertainty. I will help you articulate how you need to perceive yourself and show up throughout this process, supporting you in:
- Remaining committed to your plan, but also resilient in adapting as circumstances evolve
- Staying focused on the end game – consistent with your vision-mission
- Sustaining motivation by adopting the mindset of moving toward something positive (your future career) rather than escaping from something negative (your current situation)
- Embracing willingness to do what it takes to make the transition, such as returning to school in mid-life
- Maintaining self-care while undergoing your transition
Rewards Worth the Effort
Your journey to meaningful work starts inside yourself and expands outward to encompass the world around you as you create and execute your career transition plan. There is nothing better than fulfilling your life’s calling – the work that is deeply meaningful to you because it reflects your values, passions, and innate strengths. When you finally get to do your life’s work, you will have transformed your career!
I invite you to sign up for a complimentary discovery session on how career transformation coaching will help you realize meaningful work.