When weighing what it takes to make a change in our careers against remaining in an undesirable situation, many of us stay stuck in the status quo. We might be telling ourselves a number of things:
“I can’t afford to quit my job.”
“I have no time to make a change now. My current workload is too demanding.”
“If I make another change, my resume will look like I’m a job hopper.”
“There’s nothing better for me out there. All organizations, bosses, and jobs are bad.”
“It’s too risky to try to change. I might fail and be unable to pay the bills.”
“At least I have a job. So many people are much worse off.”
“Maybe work isn’t supposed to be anything more than just a paycheck.”
“I don’t know where to start. I feel overwhelmed.”
“I hate disruption, uncertainty, and getting out of my comfort zone. At least my current job is familiar to me. It’s what I know.”
And on and on and on…
These types of sentiments are grounded in fear. We can be afraid of many things – failure, the unknown, losing control, rejection, inconvenience, discomfort, sacrifice, disruption, commitment, what’s new and different, making a bad move.
When fear holds us back, it’s time to stop, look at why we get stuck, and figure out how to move forward.
That’s where coaching comes in. If you’re stuck, I can help you examine:
- Your limiting beliefs and the unconscious assumptions you may be making about your current situation
- How these beliefs and assumptions are leading to a negative perspective
- How this perspective drives your actions (or inactions)
- How all of this keeps you from achieving your career goals
- Most importantly, how to replace limiting beliefs and assumptions with those that lead to a positive perspective and drive constructive actions toward your career goals
I invite you to sign up for a complimentary discovery session. You will experience how coaching can help you finally get unstuck and realize your vision for meaningful work.